Indie Success! NYC Opening Weekend of ‘MIDDLE OF NOWHERE,’ Rakes in $13k Per Screen
Indie Film Success! Last weekend’s “MIDDLE OF NOWHERE” opening raked in roughly $78,000, averaging $13,000 per screen, in its initial limited 6-screen opening, giving it the biggest per-screen total for any film currently in theaters; even making twice the per screen figures of both Taken and Argo, according to Imagenation, a media arts organization based in Harlem.
This is very good news for the independent film community, and movie viewers who want to see more films that reflect authentic, well projected portrayals of African Americans and people of the Diaspora.
Director Ava Duvernay was interviewed on NPR’s “All Things Considered.” In the interview she gives us background on the film “MIDDLE OF NOWHERE” and more about her thoughts about making films that reflect contemporary Black life.
BBN hosted a screening, during opening weekend, at New York City’s AMC Empire on 42nd street. ”We are excited by the opening weekend turnout for Director Ava Duvernay’s MIDDLE OF NOWHERE, and BBN will continue supporting quality arts and culture projects that present an accurate reflection and enlightened portrayal of Black and Brown people,” said Sharon Toomer, BBN’s publisher. “Ava does just that in her careful and entertaining storytelling, both in MIDDLE OF NOWHERE and in her first film, “I Will Follow.”
Imagenation applauds the “Binders of Women” who made MIDDLE OF NOWHERE a success:
Special Thank you to all the Women Who Supported the Opening!
- Tamara McCaw at BAM
- Elissa Blount-Moorehead at Weeksville Heritage Center
- April R. Silver at AKILA WORKSONGS
- Carolyn Butts at Reel Sisters of the Diaspora Film Festival
- Lamonia Brown at New York Women in Film & Television
- Chastidy Saunders at Avenue Pink
- Terra Renee at African-American Women in Cinema
- Angel Brown at Cinematiq Magazine
- Diarrah N’daw Spech at African Diaspora International Film Festival
- Sharon Toomer at Black and Brown News
- Trevite Willis at BigShadeTree
- Michaela Angela Davis of MAD Free
- And many others!
MIDDLE OF NOWHERE is playing in New York City: AMC THEATER 42ND STREET, 234 West 42nd St. (212) 398-2597.
Visit AAFFRM (African American Film Festival Releasing Movement) for theaters and showtimes in Washington, DC, Atlanta, Houston, Oakland, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Detroit, Miami, Austin, Dallas, Chicago, Norfolk, Philadelphia.